Friday, January 22, 2010

All's swell that ends swell

Some things, you want them to be long and hard. Not a job hunt. After nearly eight months, mine came to a successful conclusion this evening when I received an offer to write and edit at DaVita, a provider of dialysis and, in my newly formed opinion, the world's best company. If I can pee in a cup, and if the pee meets quality control standards, I start Feb. 1.

I wouldn't go so far as to recommend unemployment as a character-building exercise, but I did find a few positives to temper the obvious negatives. The tagline of this blog -- communication, commerce, community -- betrays what I was longing for when I launched it, and I found all of them among the generous people who helped me with my search. Here's a roll call of some of them:
  • Beth, for introducing me to Kathryn.
  • Kathryn, for telling me about Brian.
  • Brian, for interviewing me.
  • Jason and Paula, for hiring me.
  • Sandi, for unwavering encouragement.
  • Mark, Danielle, my mom, and sometimes even a few people I don't personally know, for reading my blog.
  • Becca, Shawna, Evan and Steve, for finding something positive to say about my time in their employ (say, there's a movie you might enjoy, "The Invention of Lying"...)
  • Steve (other Steve), Evan (other Evan), Phoenix (only Phoenix) and Nikki for part-time gigs.
  • The Public Relations Society of America, the Colorado Healthcare Communicators, and Andrew Hudson for world-class networking.
  • Diane, for introducing me to Jacque.
  • Jacque, for introducing me to Catherine.
  • Catherine, for offering me the job I would have taken if I hadn't taken the job I've taken.
  • Patricia, for the HR viewpoint.
  • Ernie and Pat for trying their hardest to initiate me into guvmint work.
  • Jewish Family Services, National Jewish Health, and Saving Antiquities for Everyone, for keeping me occupied with volunteer work.
  • Carrie, for the eye-catching cards and Web site.
  • Whoever at the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment had the idea to have the "hold" guy say, "We know you're frustrated."
  • Noah and Maddie, for agreeing to drink water instead of soda when we go to Noodles & Co.
  • And most of all Karen, for not losing her job -- or her cool!

1 comment:

  1. What a way to start the New Year, congratulations! DaVita is luck to have you as we were even for a few months.

    All the best and thank you again!
    Your friends at SAFE/Saving Antiquities for Everyone

    ReplyDelete