Thursday, June 18, 2009

John Bunzli

For as long as I've known him, I've known that John Bunzli is a great talent. As a storyteller, songwriter, singer and guitarist, he can transfix a room or cause it to get up and party. His skill is on brilliant display in his new album, The Well.

On first listen -- which is happening as I write -- I can't be sufficiently analytical to provide an explication de texte. Perhaps the title stems from John's habit of beginning songs with the phrase, "Well, I..." But it wouldn't surprise me if it refers to the well of perseverance he has had to draw from to reach this point. I have had the privilege of hearing him perform live several times over the years and have seen him connect with the audience -- but fail to persuade the house to give him a second beer for his troubles. Whoever the hardest-working man in show business is, isn't. John is.

Sometimes you'll think you're listening to Harry Chapin, sometimes the Dead, sometimes Clapton. John Bunzli now lives in my iTunes library between Joe Cocker and Johnsmith, and he's right at home there. If you're in the mood for a little political commentary, a healthy dose of humor and a great beat, peer into The Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment