Monday, June 29, 2009

Volunteer mush

When I found myself (through no fault of mine, the gentlemen who released me and two dozen others assured me) with time and talent to spare, I turned to a newish organization called Volunteer Match to help me dispose of said time and talent. Having made a commitment to the nonprofit industry by obtaining a master's in nonprofit management and finding paid work in the field, first at an arts center and then at a health charity, I can't very well turn up my nose at volunteering. This is my chance to "give back," as the saying goes, "to the community."

I found half a dozen opportunities that seemed interesting and wrote to each organization via the Volunteer Match contact form. Some never responded. One responded so quickly and enthusiastically, expressing such confidence in me based on my online portfolio, that I began working for them literally within minutes.

The oddest reply came from a group that I just don't know how to assess: Daily Source. There's no doubt I can help them: they need news judgment and editing skills to put together a daily feed of articles from various online sources, and these are skills I have been using my entire career. In a series of follow-up questions, however, I got the sense they were more interested in the degree to which I agreed with their philosophy than in my availability and expertise.

After a few days of back-and-forth I called a timeout and wrote to the volunteer recruiter:

I've been trying to figure out what makes Daily Source different/better than any of the very many other aggregators out there, and I'm not seeing it. Since you do no original reporting, I am having an especially hard time understanding what makes Daily Source a charity worth supporting with money or donated labor. What am I missing?
Certainly Daily Source's mission statement -- "Bringing high quality news and information from across the Internet to the public 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in order to educate the public and improve our world" -- offers no hint of different-ness or better-ness. But the recruiter didn't answer my questions, so I instead posed them to Daily Source founder and executive director Peter Dunn, who, three days later, has yet to reply.

I was particularly intrigued by a page called How We Choose Articles, which offers a critique of the mainstream media that verges on paranoia (and which is therefore mainstream for the Internet) but goes a step beyond, by asserting that articles on DailySource.org are more fair, more accurate and more compelling than what the mainstream media produces. Since Daily Source plays no role in assigning, reporting or editing the material it publishes, I just don't see how that figures.

The page says in part, "We seek articles that have accurate information and are closest to the known truth." I can't get the phrase "closest to the known truth" out of my head. Daily Source is staffed by people with impressive journalism résumés -- these days, finding people who used to have great media jobs isn't that hard -- but this simply is not something I can imagine coming out of the mouth of any journalist I have ever met. It strikes me as a form of orthodoxy that disallows the possibility of dissent or even novelty.

What really really concerns me is the possibility that Daily Source is merely a clever way of generating salaries for the site's paid staff by exploiting donors and under-employed editors who think they're helping create the future of journalism. If Daily Source is a scam, I suppose it's a modest one: Dunn told the IRS he received $54,103 in salary and benefits from The Daily Source Limited in 2007; and he has loaned the organization almost as much as he has earned, in effect funding much of his own salary without charging any interest in return.

Which seems downright charitable.

Even if I'm wrong to doubt the way Daily Source spends donations, I still don't get it: Why does this organization exist? I am a huge believer in the potential of nonprofit journalism; if any segment of society is going to assign itself the mission of fact-seeking and truth-telling, it's the likes of NPR and ProPublica. A nonprofit aggregator, on the other hand, merely hastens the already hasty demise of the for-profit news sources that have served us more or less competently for more or less a century.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for this posting, Eric, but I thought it relevant to point out that even NPR is maybe not as committed to "fact-seeking and truth-telling" as they've represented themselves to be and certainly don't appear to be invested in local community access to media with any kind of reach. NPR has maintained (and at times escalated) a pretty solid campaign over the last handful of years against community and nonprofit groups seeking access to low power FM radio transmission. I was surprised to find this out as I'm a long time NPR supporter and for whatever reason had long ago decided that they were pretty rightous...maybe not so much anymore. It's not too difficult to find more info. once you know what you're looking for but here's a link to get you started if you feel so inclined to check it out: http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/04/nprs-war-on-low-power-fm-the-laws-of-physics-vs-politics.ars

    ReplyDelete
  2. The upside to the Internet is there is more data and information on a subject at one's fingertips than anyone could have imagined ten years ago. The downside is not always is that information accurate.

    Yet, what is more unfortunate is the proposition that many individuals think what they find is gospel, simply because they have found it published/posted on the Internet.

    I have very little time to research the Daily Source or Eric's comments, but if true, then they are troubling. Because if they really do claim "We seek articles that have accurate information and are closest to the known truth" and if they do no primary research, then I must ask who gets to determine what is truth?

    If all the Daily Source does is select articles to post, then how do they determine fact? If a group chooses to advocate a position, then fine; but let everyone know it is a position, rather than an unbiased news source. Sounds a bit more like a think tank than news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Eric, this posting will not give you the information you are looking for in regards to anything remotely educational. What it will do is inform you of maybe one aspect of NPO that you are missing.

    NPR seems to not answer you because of two things. 1 You seem to question their validity 2 They may well be parinoid.
    Have you ever started your own NPO? As an owner in 2009 you have quite a few people and organizations looking over your shoulder,(doners,IRS, Secretary of State to name a few)questioning whether you are doing a good job. They also question your monetary intake, which may be very small.

    As an owner in 2009 the funding pie is getting smaller by the minute. As a founder you can not be caught slipping in any aspect of your work.
    NRP has to compete with huge organizations that can make sure every bit of news they publish is correct. NRP can only surmise that the information they are receiving is correct, thus they give you a disclaimer within their mission statement. They started their on-line news reporting to be an uncensored avenue for the little man. They probably would love to make sure that what they publish was correct always but this takes lots of research funding and manpower. They can not anwer you if you can not see the relavence of what they ate doing without them trying to qualify what it is they accomplish.
    Many owners of NPO's today have to give to their NPOs all of their salary and then some. They are hanging by a thread and maybe questioning why they are doing this themselves, which when questioned they will either be quiet or they will reply with remarks they will regret. They may be harsh or they may whine and say they or through. You will either have to just volunteer or move on. Many NPOs are in crisis mode.
    If NRP answers you know that they are doing the best they can at this moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are confusing NPR with the original subject of my post, Daily Source, but the common thread is that charities are not undeserving of scrutiny merely because they are charities.

    Nobody from Daily Source has commented; I hope they will.

    -- Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "truth" is always subjective. NPR, when it comes to political stories, always has a whiney, left leaning tendency that I finding grating. I scanned DailySource looking for clues that they are right leaning, and didn't find any in the headlines. I did find a BBC article titled, "Daily sex 'best for good sperm,' something I have been telling my wife for the 15 years we've been together, and she has been ignoring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric--Thank you for your thought-provoking comments. I am a professional writer with some time on my hands, and I was about to volunteer to edit or copy edit for the Daily Source--in fact, I already filled out the VolunteerMatch application, sent it on, and received a long list of questions back from Daily Source. Something also nagged at me to question what makes them a charity worth working for--and your comments are making me think twice about doing so. There are plenty of worthy organizations out their with actual causes--helping animals, victims of abuse, literacy, to name just a few--that I think there might be better places for me to donate my time and skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reply to "Anonymous" of 7/7/09: Just checked my e-mail, as I do too many times a day, and still nobody from Daily Source has answered my questions. That in itself is odd behavior from a journalist, don't you think?

    A friend who works at a for-profit news site tells me his content is forever being "scraped" and re-posted on other sites, and as far as he's concerned Daily Source is a scrapist (my term... think I can make it stick?).

    -- Eric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people who have a lot of time to browse the internet and are on the 'news junkie' end of the scale of news readers have the time to go to several different 'trusted' news sources every day (NY Times, Wash Post, NPR, BBC, Reuters etc etc) and read widely across all the day's news at their leisure. Others with less time and/or less inclination just want a good comprehensive round-up of stories. There are loads of ways to get that now on the web - RSS feeds, aggregation sites with editors choosing the stories which appear (like Daily Source, Huffington Post, The Daily Beast)or even Google News or MSN news suggestions when you log in to hotmail. What aggregation sites do is offer an organised option for your daily intake of news - some like it better than just going to one particular news website because you get choices from different news sources. The trick is to find an aggregator which fits your style. When I have loads of time I use Google Reader and plow through all the news I subscribe to. When I am really short of time I like The Daily Beast. I thinkcChoosing and promoting news articles and presenting them in a way which appeals to readers and web users and encourages a more informed audience is a valuable offering in today's overloaded information web world. The Daily Source still looks young and developing - maybe you could help it develop in a useful way?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric,

    Thank you very much for posting this. I'm in the middle of a career change from business management and into journalism. I have no experience at all and thought that The Daily Source's ad was what I may be looking for. I stand corrected.

    If they wanted to clear their name someone would have replied by now. Poke, poke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A career change *into* journalism? I didn't know such a thing was still possible! Well, good luck to you, because no matter how many or few working journalists there are in the world, there will always be room for another *good* one.

    This advice may be hopelessly out of date, but I had a good experience when I was starting out editing overseas. Most foreign capitals have more English-language dailies than most US cities do, for the expat community, and they can be very collegial places to work. And when the work day ends, you're on vacation!

    -- Eric

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Eric,

    Did anyone ever respond to you from Dailysource.org?

    Thank you for the post.

    Ana

    ReplyDelete