Friday, July 24, 2009

Account(ing)ability

I'm unemployed and I vote.

Doesn't have much of a ring to it, does it? Even though millions have been thrown out of work as a result of the actions and inactions of a handful of jerks relating to mortgages, a stigma remains. The unemployed, at least in America, are unlikely to coalesce into a political force.

That's a shame, because accountability is in order. Because of poor writing skills (yes, it actually is a question of elementary writing skills) it is not possible for me to determine when the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment intends to release the insurance payments I'm entitled to. (Notice I don't call them benefits; these are merely insurance payments, and even if I receive everything I could possibly be entitled to, I'll still have paid far more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.)

Nor can one call, write, or e-mail the department to get an answer. It's the worst sort of bureaucracy, not something that makes me proud to be a Coloradan. Then there are the upfront mistakes the department made, like buying software that doesn't work, a genius move that seems to be obligatory for government agencies.

Department chief Don Mares has been complaining publicly about lack of resources, but knowing something about how workplaces work, I think I see an additional explanation for the department's poor performance:

Poor performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment